Just like all other subscriptions offered by Amazon, you can cancel Prime membership any time you want.
If you cancel it during your 30-day free trial, your credit card won’t be charged. What you should know is that you can get a free trial only once.
Therefore, if you try to subscribe to Prime from the same account the next time, you won’t be eligible for a free trial, and your credit card will be charged immediately.
Let’s start with the guide on how to end Prime membership. Later on, we will discuss conditions to get a refund.
How to end Amazon Prime – 2 ways
1. Via Amazon Help page
It is the quickest possible way to cancel the subscription.
Simply, go to a dedicated Amazon.com Help page – End Your Amazon Prime Membership – and click “End Membership” button. That’s it.
You will be asked to log in to your Amazon account, and then follow the cancellation procedure.
1. Under the banner which persuades you to keep the membership, you will find three buttons.
2. Click “Continue to Cancel” button, and then “End Now.” A message which confirms your cancellation will appear.
2. Via your Amazon account settings page
Another way to end Prime is to do it via the settings page of your Amazon account.
It’s a longer method to end Prime membership, but it will give you an idea of how many Prime benefits you have used so far.
1. Once you log in to Amazon, find in the top right corner the link to your Amazon account settings. The link says “Account & Lists.”
2. When you move your mouse over it, you will see a drop-down menu. Find “Your Prime Membership” and click it.
Tip: Don’t confuse “Your Prime Membership” with “Memberships & Subscriptions.” Amazon Prime has its own settings page.
3. At the bottom of the left sidebar, you will see a link saying “End Membership and Benefits.”
4. Under the banner which persuades you to keep the membership, you will find three buttons.
Click “Continue to Cancel” button, and then “End Now.” A message which confirms your cancellation will appear.
How to get a refund on Amazon Prime membership
The big question is how to get a refund if a paid Amazon Prime subscription has already started.
Usually, your subscription runs until the next billing period.
If you have a monthly fee and cancel Prime on the first day of the new billing period, the subscription will be terminated at the end of this period, and you won’t get a refund for the current one. The same with the annual subscription model. You will not be eligible for the refund even if you cancel membership at the beginning of the 12-month period.
However, there are exceptions. Amazon provides conditions on which you can get a refund on Prime membership.
To make things simple, you get your the full refund only “if you and your account did not make any eligible purchases or take advantage of Prime benefits since your latest Prime membership charge.”
You could get a refund also if you used Prime benefits. You should cancel your membership within three days since the beginning of a paid period. The money you get back will be a difference between the fee and the value of used benefits.